There is a possibility that I might be working on a project in the book of Acts. I would like to select four or five commentaries/books on Acts to help me with this. I have done a little research already and have compiled a list of four top candidates, potentials, and one older commentary. If you have any feedback, ideas, or suggestions, please let me know.
- The Acts of the Apostles (Pillar New Testament Commentary) – David G. Peterson. This book is at the top of my list because of my experience with other Pillar commentaries – especially James Edwards book on Mark.
- The Acts of the Risen Lord Jesus (New Studies in Biblical Theology) – Alan J. Thompson. I wanted to include this book, which I know isn’t a commentary per say, because this series of books comes highly recommended, and I haven’t ready any yet. Having a book that isn’t standard commentary style may be helpful.
- Acts (Baker Exegetical Commentary on the NT) – Darrell L. Bock. I have never used any Baker commentaries, and I haven’t heard of the author. However, this book was on many top lists for Acts commentaries.
- Acts (Reformed Expository Commentary) – Derek W. H. Thomas. Same situation as the book above.
- Acts for Everyone – N. T. Wright. This book comes in two separate parts. The link I included was for part one. The reason this one is on the list is that I have heard great things about the author.
- The Message of Acts (Bible Speaks Today) – John Stott. I read numerous good things about this commentary and about the author, but the reason this isn’t on the top candidates list is that I have a Colossians commentary in this same series that I am not overly impressed with.
- Acts (The NIV Application Commentary) – Ajith Fernando.
- Acts (New Testament Commentary) – Simon J. Kistemaker.
- The Book of the Acts (New International Commentary on the NT) – F. F. Bruce.
- Acts (Tyndale New Testament Commentaries) – I. Howard Marshall.
- Acts (The Crossway Classic Commentaries) – John Calvin.